David, Matt,

Thanks for the responses and pointing me towards UIControlEvents.

> >-(void)touchesBegan:(NSSet *)touches withEvent:(UIEvent *)event
> >{
> >  [[self nextResponder] touchesBegan:touches withEvent:event];
> >}
>
> Don't do that. The way to pass touches up the responder chain is by calling
> super. This will do exactly what you're after, I think.

Using super will call -touchesBegan:withEvent of UIButton.  Which, in my
experiments, does not continue to pass the event up the responder chain --
i.e. I never see the touch events reach my UIViewController (where I want
them to end up).  My understanding is that once an object is found that
responds to -touchesBegan:withEvent, the event propagation ends unless
explicitly forwarded.  Calling super will get the event to my superclass
(UIButton), but not beyond that.

Lou