On Aug 19, 2011, at 7:17 AM, Sixten Otto wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
>> Those functions, and the general operation that they perform, require that
>> the files to be exchanged be on the same file system.
>
> If true, that certainly makes that method far less useful in the general
> case than I expected, and really seems restricted to the "saving a new copy
> of an in-memory document and swapping it" case. I really don't want to put
> the in-process download into the Documents tree. (Both because it's
> potentially visible to the user through iTunes, and because
> NSTemporaryDirectory() will be swept up occasionally.)

Is there any reason why you can't put the downloaded file in your app's private
cache directory (.../<appdir>/Library/Caches), i.e., what gets returned by
NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSCachesDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES)?
That should certainly be within the bigger app directory hierarchy, and thus a
peer of the app's Documents directory.