On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2011, at 5:48 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>

>> On 2011 Nov 16, at 17:16, Tom Harrington wrote:
>>
>>> I'm finding that if I use nested managed object contexts,
>>> awakeFromInsert will be called twice on new objects.
>>
>>> I'm wondering if this is a Core Data bug or a documentation bug.
>>
>> I'd say it's a pretty serious Core Data bug.  I've not had an occasion to
>> use nested managed object contexts yet, but I put things in -awakeFromInsert
>> that I only want to happen once.
>>

> It's certainly not explicitly documented, however a quick scan of the iOS
> forums finds another 3 developers who've discovered the same thing. Is it
> really the same object however? It can't be, right, they have different
> addresses, so Core Data is arguably doing what the documentation says, it's
> calling awakeFromInsert only once in the object's lifetime, you just have two
> objects, one in each context.

Actually I don't, so far as I can tell. As I mentioned in my previous
message, I get the same managed object ID both times. I haven't
checked the address, but surely if they were different objects they
wouldn't have the same ID.

> What does the object look like when you get the second call? Has Core Data
> literally just created it in the second MOC and is calling awakeFromInsert on
> it before (I assume) populating the data on it from the original, or is it
> already a clone of the first, with properties and relationships set on it? If
> the former that seems not too inconsistent, new object in new store gets
> called to set up defaults before the properties you set on it are cloned
> over, if the second case, that's much harder to deal with (and sounds like a
> bug)

The object appears the same both times-- a new object with no
properties or relationships set.

--
Tom Harrington
atomicb...@gmail.com