On Sep 29, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2012, at 9:00 PM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I just spent 10 mins wiring up the GUI, did nothing else, and now when one
>> scene appears, Xcode instantly SIGABRTs, without any information in the
>> console or the debugger that comes close to telling why this happened.
>
> Well, what _did_ it show?

All it showed was how the SIGABRT was brought to the screen.  Not what
triggered the SIGABRT

>> Trapping for -[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSelector:] doesn't help.
>
> That’s only going to catch one specific cause of exceptions. Didn't you set
> an all-exceptions breakpoint as I’ve suggested a few dozen times?

Considering it was sometime in the AM, I did not have the ability to recall
your tips.  Unfortunately, I have not had the spare time to even try your
suggestion out, but it's on the list of things that have to be done.  Too many
nights in the office 'til midnight, 4 and now 5 AM.

It's on the list.

But I have to mention that it's these magical unexpected moments when Objective
C or Xcode says "I don't know what to do, so I'll just crash and leave you no
useful info, unless you know that special secret" that can be rather maddening.
 I lost count of how many times (aside from this) that Xcode "Unexpectedly
Quit" or "would you like to continue or crash" Friday night/Saturday morning.

Hopefully this week when we update to 4.5, much of that pain will go away.
Fingers and other digits crossed.

Thanks again Jens, it's on the list.