I¹m mostly using it for setting/retrieving/showing a capture region on the
screen.  If the user manually draws a capture region, I have to determine
the relevant screen ID in order to know if the AVScreenCaptureInput object
needs to be replaced with a new one. (You can only set it¹s capture screen
ID in its init method.)  I would also like to save the user¹s setup so
he/she doesn¹t have to redo everything on each application launch, if the
physical screens are the same.  Getting two different IDs for the same
screen within the same run is causing some grief.  At least now I know the
problem is real, and not something I did wrong in my code.  I¹m just going
to have to figure out how to deal with it.  It really threw me when I could
not reproduce it in sample code.  Now I  understand why.