On Oct 24, 2012, at 10:25 AM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2012, at 1:13 PM, David Duncan wrote:

>>> Well, according to the docs, the preferences folder is within the app.
>>> Therefore, when replacing the app, (which is a folder) the entire contents
>>> of the app would be expected to be replaced.
>>
>> The docs describe the sandbox configuration (or should) which does not say
>> that preferences are inside the application, but rather inside the
>> application's sandbox. The distinction is huge (if only because if it was
>> inside the application your application's signature would break and would no
>> longer launch).
>>
>> Nothing except deleting the application (nee its sandbox) should delete
>> existing preferences.
>> --
>> David Duncan
>>

> That's just amazing.  Apple's doc writers need to do a much better job of
> explaining that even though the app is sandboxed, the sandbox exists outside
> the application and the app and the sandbox folders sit next to it within a
> folder that holds them all.  Or does it?

Without knowing which documentation you allude to, I can't really say what the
issue here is. I can only say that in every document on the sandbox structure
that I'm aware of, it shows the application as in the sandbox and next to
everything else. If you think something is unclear, feel free to provide
feedback or file a bug report.

--
David Duncan