On 24/10/2012, at 8:47 PM, Mike Abdullah <cocoa...@mikeabdullah.net> wrote:

> Handling security-scoped bookmarks most certainly relies upon code-signing,
> as without you can’t create or resolve them. Are you dealing with app or
> document scoped bookmarks here?

App-scoped.

In dev and testing no problem was encountered but "in the wild" we have this
crash deep within -[NSURL URLByResolvingBookmarkData:options:.....]. The app
was incorrectly signed due to a stuff-up with the developer ID certs which was
resolved, but that won't help until we get an update published. What's annoying
is that the bookmark resolving just crashes rather than handle the problem
gracefully, and we're still not certain whether the incorrect signing is the
real cause or not (the apps were signed, just not using the correct cert). This
deep connection between parts of the OS that behave very differently according
to the situation they find themselves in is a recipe for very hard-to-find bugs
that easily escape QA.

--Graham