On 26 Oct, 2012, at 5:56 AM, Corbin Dunn <corb...@apple.com> wrote:

> Technically, the above code is incorrect. You have to set one of the values,
> per the header comment.
>

> /* The objects defining the property values being interpolated between.
> * All are optional, and no more than two should be non-nil. The object
> * type should match the type of the property being animated (using the
> * standard rules described in CALayer.h). The supported modes of
> * animation are:
> *
> * - both `fromValue' and `toValue' non-nil. Interpolates between
> * `fromValue' and `toValue'.
> *
> * - `fromValue' and `byValue' non-nil. Interpolates between
> * `fromValue' and `fromValue' plus `byValue'.
> *
> * - `byValue' and `toValue' non-nil. Interpolates between `toValue'
> * minus `byValue' and `toValue'.
> *
> * - `fromValue' non-nil. Interpolates between `fromValue' and the
> * current presentation value of the property.
> *
> * - `toValue' non-nil. Interpolates between the layer's current value
> * of the property in the render tree and `toValue'.
> *
> * - `byValue' non-nil. Interpolates between the layer's current value
> * of the property in the render tree and that plus `byValue'. */

That's interesting for a couple of reasons. The first line says that all
properties are optional. Also, I didn't use the header, I used the
documentation which has this extra line in it over and above the ones above

"All properties are nil. Interpolates between the previous value of keyPath in
the target layer’s presentation layer and the current value of keyPath in the
target layer’s presentation layer."

and was very careful to make sure I used the latest iOS docs not the OSX ones,
I've made that mistake before. This is what it actually does for the position
property

Finally, were it true, it would make the class of restricted use, you couldn't
use setAnimation:forKey with it if you wanted to animate between the previous
and current value of a property, which is probably the most usual use case.

OK nobody knows, my OCD has kicked in on this one so I'll burn a DTS incident
on it, I might learn something.