Continuing.  In hereā€¦

http://opensource.apple.com/source/libdispatch/libdispatch-228.18/os/object.h

I find a maze of #define compiler directives which affect
OS_OBJECT_USE_OBJC_RETAIN_RELEASE, and also there is a comment which implies
that maybe I should add compiler flag -DOS_OBJECT_USE_OBJC=0 to the file which
invokes xpc_release().  Indeed, doing so fixes the error.

But I don't fully understand what the effect is.  Also, my little project does
not have that flag, neither as an option in the relevant source file, nor
anywhere in Build Settings.  It builds fine without it.

Any clues to the intended usage of this OS_OBJECT_USE_OBJC_RETAIN_RELEASE and
OS_OBJECT_USE_OBJC would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jerry