Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
I was trying to achieve what essentially "free memory" apps on the Mac AppStore
do.
The RAM usage can be divided into four parts as shown in Activity Monitor.
1. Free
2. In-active
3. Active
4. Wired

When I used my earlier app to allocate memory equal to free + inactive bytes,
for the execution of the program it used to make the system less responsive for
a few seconds and on release and quitting the app, most of the inactive memory
would shift under free.

e.g. if free is 1GB and inactive is 1.5GB, then after run, free would be 2.45GB
and inactive just 50MB.

Thanks again,
Nick