On Jan 24, 2013, at 18:11 , Chuck Soper <chu...@veladg.com> wrote:

> If I do not implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and
> tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row: then this error is written to the
> console:
>
> *** Illegal NSTableView data source (< MyCustomView: 0x1019ab7b0>).  Must
> implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and
> tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:

What version of OS X, BTW?

It's clearly documented that they're optional in your situation, and the
documentation is 10.7-vintage. The 10.8 SDK header file also says they're
optional. They may not be optional pre-10.7, or the log message is spurious, or
you've done something in your table view configuration that makes the table
*think* it needs these data source methods.

However, as you say, it isn't critical, and it's almost certainly not your
fault.