Hello,

I am trying to take a CVImageBufferRef received from the following video
capture callback:
- (void)outputVideoFrame:(CVImageBufferRef)videoFrame
withSampleBuffer:(QTSampleBuffer *)sampleBuffer
fromConnection:(QTCaptureConnection *)connection
...and feed to to an FFmpeg codec for further encoding. We can ignore the
FFmpeg side of this except to say that the FFmpeg codec in use requires
YUV420p, which for anyone familiar with FFmpeg is the pixel format
AV_PIX_FMT_YUV420P,described as follows:

planar YUV 4:2:0, 12bpp, (1 Cr & Cb sample per 2x2 Y samples)

I am pretty sure that I have to set attributes on the
QTCaptureDecompressedVideoOutput instance to use
KCVPixelFormatType_420YpCbCr8Planar pixel format type, given the definition
below seems closest to the desired YUV 4:2:0 format, and that I need to be Snow
Leopard compatible.

kCVPixelFormatType_420YpCbCr8Planar
Planar Component Y'CbCr 8-bit 4:2:0. baseAddr points to a big-endian
CVPlanarPixelBufferInfo_YCbCrPlanar struct.
Available in OS X v10.5 and later.

The problem is that once this attribute is set, the capture is failing with the
following in the console:

2013-02-05 17:48:21.050 Sentinel[998:13503] ***
QTCaptureDecompressedVideoOutput warning: Output received the following error
while decompressing video: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-12906 "The
operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -12906.)". Make sure that the
pixel buffer attributes of all outputs are valid.

Question #1: why am I receiving this message, and how to I get past it.

Question #2 (and if you can answer this, forget #1): How can I get a
decompressed frame formatted properly to the following format:

planar YUV 4:2:0, 12bpp, (1 Cr & Cb sample per 2x2 Y samples)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Brad