On 14 Feb 2013, at 02:07, James Maxwell <jbmaxw...@rubato-music.com> wrote:

> I've run into a situation where I really need a deep copy of an object. I've
> implemented this using Apple's recommended approach with
> NSKeyedArchiver/Unarchiver, and it's nice, simple, and functional. But it's
> also pretty darn slow -- as in a clear, subjectively apparent performance hit.
> Has anybody had to find a way around this, and if so, what did you do? Or if
> anybody just has a nice, creative thought about another way of doing it, I'd
> love to hear about it.
>
> The object(s) being copied are custom classes, and there's a chance I may be
> able to get away with copying only certain properties (i.e., rather than
> archiving the entire graph from the root object), so I'll look into making a
> "deepCopy" method that's more selective. But I'd appreciate any thoughts in
> the meantime.

One possible approach to this (though not one that's going to be as fast as a
custom deepCopy method), would be to implement your own NSCoder subclass.  I
have in the past made keyed archivers which are substantially quicker than
apple's, and encode into substantially smaller byte formats.

Thanks

Tom Davie