Sorry I can't be of more direct help, but…

Cocoa bindings are unfortunately one of many tools that apple produces with the
thought "we can make this small task I do repeatedly much easier" in their
head, that typically doesn't cover the general case.  They're enormously
productive if all you're doing is one of the obvious, standard UIs.
Unfortunately, as soon as you want to do something more complex, that typically
breaks down with almost any structure.  This is due to 3 things:
1) Debugging them is near impossible – you end up wasting as much time as you
save trying to track down what's wrong.
2) Lack of flexibility – you eventually hit a wall where bindings simply can't
do what you want any more and need to rewrite everything.
3) Performance – you can't tune anything with these technologies typically.

My advice would simply be to steer well clear of bindings (along with a couple
of other techs that supposedly make life easier, like CoreData and Storyboards).

Thanks

Tom Davie