On Feb 20, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Oleg Krupnov <oleg.krup...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not exactly. Here is what the documentation says:
>
> backgroundFilters
>
> An array of Core Image filters to apply to the content immediately
> behind the layer. Animatable.
>
> @property(copy) NSArray *backgroundFilters
>
> Discussion
> Background filters affect the content behind the layer that shows
> through into the layer itself. Typically this content belongs to the
> superlayer that acts as the parent of the layer. These filters do not
> affect the content of the layer itself, including the layer’s
> background color and border. They also do not affect content outside
> of the layer’s bounds.
>
> So basically it can blur/filter other layers. So my question remains -
> why doesn't it filter all layers below it, but only the immediate
> parent layer?

Because thats exactly what it said in the description you just posted.

The Core Animation render model is that you start from the leaves, projecting
and flattening those layers into its parent recursively. As such when you place
a background filter on a layer, that filter affects the area in the parent that
is under that layer. At that point, from a rendering perspective at least, the
layer and its effects cease to exist, having been flattened into the parent.

All the ways around flattening also disable filters (and other select
properties of the layer) because getting them correct is reliant upon the
flattening rendering model described above.

--
David Duncan