I'm going to try both types of table - but I need to find good documentation,
preferably with examples, first.  Right now, however, I've decided that this is
useful future functionality, and not core to the software.  So I've gone back
to plan a - checkboxes in NSTableView (still need to work that out too, but it
should be simpler), and I've put a load of extra code in to support the
additional flexibility that I'd like to have in the future (so that I don't
have to rewrite my plugins once I get this going just as I'd like).

I'm sorry to be such a wimp - but right now this is just 'too hard'.

Once I've worked out how the code will look, I'll drop you a personal email
with the code that I used (rather than cluttering up this forum by resurrecting
what will, by then, be an old thread).