On May 21, 2013, at 04:35 PM, Martin Hewitson <martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de>
wrote:

> On May 21, 2013, at 4:30 PM, Fritz Anderson <fri...@manoverboard.org> wrote:
>
>> [I'd accidentally posted my reply off-list. Bringing it back.]
>>
>> The times I've autogenerated emails, I did so without thinking of alternate
>> clients. On MacOS, I used -[NSWorkspace openURL:], which can be funky for a
>> long or non-ASCII body, but could be made to work. The system should honor
>> the user's choice for mailto: handlers.
>
> OK, I need to read some more about mailto handlers. I dipped my toe in this
> while trying to figure out how to move away from the my old applescript
> methods, but I kind of got stuck. I'm assuming one can do attachments in a
> mailto url?

OK, after reading some about this, it seems that one can't have attachments
with a mailto: handler on OS X. Is that correct? If so, I'm back to my original
question: how can I robustly send a mail with the user's default mail client
and be able to fill in all the details (recipients, subject, body including
attachments). And I need this to work on 10.7 and 10.8. Anyone any good ideas?
Seems like this should be a solved problem.

Many thanks,

Martin

>> But that may be hard to integrate with NSSharingService. Perhaps you could
>> fall back on mailto: in the didFail… delegate method.
>

> I've no real desire to use NSSharingService. If I find a way to reliably send
> a mail (with attachments) then I'll be most delighted.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin
>

>>      — F
>>

>> On 21 May 2013, at 12:52 AM, Martin Hewitson <martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Fritz,
>>>
>>> I did take a look at the delegate callbacks, and
>>> -sharingService:didFailToShareItems:error: is called when the default
>>> client is anything other than Mail.app, but the error is 'empty' so
>>> presenting it to the user doesn't reveal what's wrong.
>>>
>>> More importantly, this sharing by email doesn't seem to work for any other
>>> app I tried when the default mail client is not Mail.app. Seems strange to
>>> me. Do you have experience of sharing my mail working for, say,
>>> Thunderbird? With any app at all?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Martin

>> --
>> Fritz Anderson
>> Xcode 4 Unleashed: 4.5 supplement for free!
>> http://www.informit.com/store/xcode-4-unleashed-9780672333279

Martin Hewitson
Albert-Einstein-Institut
Max-Planck-Institut fuer
    Gravitationsphysik und Universitaet Hannover
Callinstr. 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel: +49-511-762-17121, Fax: +49-511-762-5861
E-Mail: martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de
WWW: http://www.aei.mpg.de/~hewitson