On Jun 18, 2013, at 08:08 AM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:

> On 2013 Jun 17, at 21:13, Martin Hewitson <martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>
>> I did try making a mapping model (this is something I've done in the past in
>> other apps) but I got the same error message.
>
> Oh, well.
>
>> Is the idea that the auto-migration magic will pick up the mapping model and
>> use it, if it finds it?
>
> Yes.  I think the only three things you need do are to specify the current
> version, and add .xcdatamodel and .xcmappingmodel files to your app target.
> Xcode compiles the .xcdatamodel files into .mom files that all get put into a
> .momd folder which also contains a VersionInfo.plist that specifies the
> current version and the hashes for the entities in each version; also it
> compiles each .xcmappingmodel files into a .cdm file.  Finally, the .momd
> folder and all the .cdm files get packaged into your product's Resources.
> Given those pieces, it's a pretty easy reverse-engineering exercise to figure
> out what the auto-migration magic must be doing.

According to your description, my app bundle's in good shape. I tried making a
mapping model and the cdm file shows up in Resources, as expected. The momd
folder contains all the expected mom and one omo file.

> Lately, Xcode has also been adding a .omo file, just one, named for the
> current version, to the .momd.  On Stack Overflow, 'Bobson' guessed that this
> was "the same data [as the .mom file], organized differently".  Probably not
> a bad guess.  Maybe optimized for faster access by Mountain Lion or something.

Yes, I just noticed this ono file in the app bundle. I was wondering what that
was...

<snip>

>> Then I go to open an existing document and I get the dreaded  "migration
>> failed, missing source managed object model" error.
>

> After writing this message, you know I think it's more likely that you
> screwed up and did this…
>
> • Change the data model a little.
> • Create a document, "E".
> • Get interrupted by a fire drill.
> • Change the data model a little more.
> • Build.
>
> In this case, indeed *no* version of your app will ever be able to open that
> document "E".  If this is your "existing" document, the "migration failed,
> missing source managed object model" error is expected.

I don't think this is the case since I can still drop back to version 11 and
open the 'existing' document. I just made a test app and managed to perform a
lightweight migration much like the one I'm trying here, so I guess I'm doing
something wrong. I'll try to absorb your other detailed comments and see if I
can get some more debug output to figure out what's going on.

I just had another thought.... I have another core data model in the app. I
wonder if the NSPersistentDocument infrastructure is picking up the wrong
model? As I'm looking through the project, I realise I don't know how the
document knows which core data model to use.... OK, back to the documentation
on NSPersistentDocument.

Thanks again,

Martin