On Jun 22, 2013, at 17:52 , Nick Zitzmann <n...@chronosnet.com> wrote:

> I did search the documentation and the archives, and didn't see anyone
> talking about this. It appears that, in view-based NSTableViews or
> NSOutlineViews, if a row is designated as a group row/item, then the view
> spans the entire column, and the table column argument passed into
> -outlineView:viewForTableColumn:item: will always be nil. Am I correct so
> far? Is there any way to turn this off, so that group items can have multiple
> views in a row, and if so, then what do I do to make this not happen?

Well, the documentation for the NSTableViewDelegate protocol says (of the
column parameter): "Will be nil if the row is a group row".

If you want it to behave like NSCell-based tables used, one way would be to
*not* make these group rows. Instead, implement the delegate method
'tableView:tableView rowViewForRow:' to create a view with a "group row"
appearance behind the column views. The only thing you'd lose would be the
floating row behavior of real group rows, but that probably isn't desirable
anyway for your scenario.

In a case of extreme need, you could create a group row view that contains
subviews similar to the column views, and adjust the view layout to line the
subviews up with the column views.

It sort of makes sense for the new API to expect that group rows are section
headers, rather than "special" detail rows, but I understand the frustration of
having functionality you're actually using taken away from you.