This feels like it should be a very basic question, but it's not one I've
managed to find an answer to - can somebody here advise?

I have an objective c object which contains a number of properties that serve
as parameters for an algorithm. They are bound to UI elements. I would like to
take a snapshot copy of the object that will be used for one whole run of the
algorithm (rather than risk parameters changing halfway through the run). i.e.
I just want to do [myObject copy].

The complication is in ensuring this is threadsafe: ideally I would like to
make the copy on a thread other than the main thread. My understanding is that
properties themselves, even when designated atomic, are in some way not fully
threadsafe, although I haven't found a clear explanation of exactly what makes
them unsafe. I don't know if the 'copy' method is threadsafe or not, I am
inclined to suspect not.

Is there any way, then, that I can take a copy in a threadsafe manner? If
necessary I can do the copy on the main thread, but I would prefer not to have
to do that for timing reasons. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Jonny.