On Sep 3, 2013, at 12:52 , Jonathan Taylor <jonathan.tay...@glasgow.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I have an objective c object which contains a number of properties that serve
> as parameters for an algorithm. They are bound to UI elements. I would like
> to take a snapshot copy of the object that will be used for one whole run of
> the algorithm (rather than risk parameters changing halfway through the run).
> i.e. I just want to do [myObject copy].

What are the property parameters?  A bunch of numbers, maybe some strings?

> [complications]

> Is there any way, then, that I can take a copy in a threadsafe manner? If
> necessary I can do the copy on the main thread, but I would prefer not to
> have to do that for timing reasons.

Unless there is some dire reason not to do this, I would make a copy on the
main thread every time the UI changes, and stash that copy somewhere the worker
thread can access it easily.

The reasoning is that humans are generally slow compared to computers, so
changes are likely going to happen at reasonably slow rate.

-(void)uiDidChange
{
        id newSnapshot=[[parameters copy] autorelease];
        [self setSnapshot:newSnapshot];
}

Marcel