On 11 Sep, 2013, at 11:01 pm, Vincent Habchi <vi...@macports.org> wrote:

> Probably not. I fear many people will think that with 64-bit pointers they
> get a lot of usable space, and then see their code crippled by low memory
> warnings.

The conversion guide makes a particular point about memory pressure on small
devices when code moves to 64 bit. This is definitely going to be something
developers have to think about and use the tools to work out where memory is
suffering. I think Apple knows this but has gone there anyway.

Still standing by my last mail about how this is a good early step towards 64
bit and will eventually be the right move, i think without 2x the memory
on-device and with the different memory issues involved in a larger address
space, there's going to be some struggling at the start.