On 16/09/2013, at 8:08 PM, Jeffrey Oleander <jgo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, of course, you can.  But that is too late.
> You need to know the total, the max, before you display the progress bar

Ah, true but in fact displaying progress when dearchiving is more important.
Documents get saved in the background, so in some ways it doesn't matter how
long they take, but when waiting for a very big file to open, there can be a
noticeable delay (maybe 10-15 seconds) between the Open dialog going away and
the document appearing - I want to give the user some feedback that something
is happening. So I can accept a dearchiving-only solution based on a saved
count.

--Graham