I tend to agree that it's problematic, but it is deliberate. From the
documentation:

Discussion

When presenting the popover, this method adds the toolbar that owns the
button to the popover’s list of passthrough views. Thus, taps in the
toolbar result in the action methods of the corresponding toolbar items
being called. If you want the popover to be dismissed when a different
toolbar item is tapped, you must implement that behavior in your action
handler methods.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/uikit/reference/UIPopoverController_class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009306-CH1-SW18

Unfortunately, while you can set the passthrough views back to nil after
the popover is presented, the system will re-add the bar if it re-presents
the popover (such as when the device is rotated). I filed rdar://13774176
about that.