Using the methods in the UIStringDrawing category on NSString, it's pretty
straightforward to measure the size of a string as it will appear on
screen, or to draw it into some constrained area. And I love that UIKit
handles all of the logic to truncate the string to fit.

But I find myself in a situation where I'd like to actually obtain the
truncated version of the string. That is, given some text and a bounding
area, to have the system figure out how much will fit, and then tell me
that (whether returning the truncated string directly, or giving me a
character range that would fit, or whatever). So far, though, I can't find
any means to accomplish that.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious, and I'm hoping someone can
point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Sixten