On Jan 24, 2014, at 1:30 PM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:

> On 2014 Jan 24, at 08:56, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
>
>> OS X has a one-to-one mapping of extension to UTI and so doesn't deal well
>> if two different applications declaring different UTIs for the same
>> extension.  Just another case to look out for…
>
> In particular, prepare for support requests from users complaining “Why does
> your damned app launch every time I double-click a <.whatever> file?”
>
> Out in the wild, people will
>
> • Forget that they have your app
> • Forget what it was for
> • Ditto for other apps claiming the same <.whatever>

I personally hate this, especially if your app reads file types other apps
share with you. For instance, one of my programs opens ISO files, and one user
emailed to tell me my app was opening every time he clicked on it. Now, it was
his fault, as he set the file association, but he blamed me.

Users can be so annoying sometimes.