On Feb 23, 2014, at 1:06 PM, Gordon Apple <g...@ed4u.com> wrote:

> We have run into a number is issues trying to use CIFilters with CALayers:
>
> 1. When a layer is hidden, its filters, especially background filters,
> should be temporarily removed, or at least bypassed.  Hiding the layer
> should make if effectively non-existent in the displayed layer stack.

Is this a statement or a question?

> 2. The docs should tell you that in a CIFilter you cannot auto-synthesize
> filter input parameters. This simply does not work, especially for
> inputImage.

Bug?

> 3. The docs for CALayer filters and background filters say you should name
> your filters for use in changing parameters. I.e., filter.name =
> @²myFilter².  Amazingly, this works, in spite of the fact that there is no
> public property called ³name² for a CIFilter.

There is a public property, but it isn’t declare in CIFilter.h if I recall
correctly.

> 4. The example keyPath makes no sense whatsoever, unless we just don¹t
> understand keyPaths:
>
> [layer setValue:XXX forKeyPath:@²backgroundFilters.myFilter.filterParam²];
>
> backgroundFilters is an array of filters. myFilter is a property value of
> some element of the array. (huh?)

Core Animation extension to KVC.

> 5. We need some decent documentation of what in GL Shading Language is
> actually relevant to writing ciKernels, besides the one page addendum
> provided.

Bug (I don’t know myself, but a bug is the only way you are going to tell the
folks in charge of that it is needed).

> 6. And, of course, the problem we have already mentioned in a previous post
> about getting a CALayer to update when a filter parameter is changed.

You have to go through the key-value path in Core Animation. If you update the
CIFilter directly you have no guarantee that CA will notice the change.
--
David Duncan