The thing that I love about this site is that it always encourages developers
to be better, to do better.  Awesome stuff.  I also like the phrase
'programming by chance'!

Your spidey sense is oddly aligned with mine - that's the first thing that I
thought and the first thing that I fixed (initially, there was a bug where the
table view delegate wasn't being nilled out).  Sadly, it didn't make one iota
of difference to the problem.

I'll be reinvestigating… Eventually.  Right now there are other problems to
fix, other bugs to solve - and if this problem has gone away I can live with
it, even if I'm not entirely happy with it.