Thanks for the tips. That *almost* works the way I want. I mapped
the Help menu item to a doHelp sent to the (custom) application
class rather than showHelp. The only problem now is that the
command-? still goes to the help search box. If I then choose the
"WinTD Help" item under the search box, it goes through my
custom help handling and pops up the correct window. I don't see
how to cut the stop at the search box out of the process---it doesn't
*look* like the Help is a custom NSMenuItem, but it sure acts like
one.

Best regards,

Tom Doan
Estima