On 14 May, 2014, at 10:08:39 pm HKT, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>

> On May 14, 2014, at 6:41 AM, Jonathan Mitchell <jonat...@mugginsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to obtain an NSDate object from a casually entered user
>> string, say: 1 1 2015 or 25 jul 15?
>
> There’s no easy way. You can create a whole bunch of format strings for every
> exact format you expect, and then try to parse the input using each one in
> turn (tip: the order you test the formats in is important); or you can write
> a custom parser (hopefully using a parser generator like ANTLR.) Or you could
> search around to see if there are any open-source libraries that do this … I
> just checked the About box of Fantastical (which has a really good date
> parser) but didn’t see anything relevant. Good luck!
>
> —Jens

There is NSDate +dateWithNaturalLanguageString:, but milage may vary, as the
docs say:

“It may give unexpected results, and its use is strongly discouraged”

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Classes/NSDate_Class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/occ/clm/NSDate/dateWithNaturalLanguageString:

Jim