On May 20, 2014, at 4:45 PM, edward taffel wrote:

> On May 20, 2014, at 5:18 PM, Keary Suska <cocoa-...@esoteritech.com> wrote:
>
>> On May 20, 2014, at 9:55 AM, edward taffel wrote:
>>
>>> apologies keary,
>>>
>>> on reread, my question is badly cast: i should have read it the same as you.
>>>
>>> the issue is:
>>>
>>> i have an overlay (created programmatically  w/ NSBorderlessWindowMask) at
>>> the top of my document view; after switching to full screen setFrame
>>> disregards my requested rect (without log emission) & adjusts to a max
>>> below the menu drop-down area. best coding practice suggests (to me) an
>>> arithmetical level adjustment like document-window-level plus one, but this
>>> does not attain. kCGOverlayWindowLevel does the trick, but
>>> kCGStatusWindowLevel is lower on the list & i wondered what class of window
>>> is intended at this level.
>>
>> AFAIK, status window level is for windows belonging to NSStatusItems.
>
> go figure—i’ve never fiddled with status bar items: i thought something
> completely different. i wish they would note this in the header.
>
>> I am not completely educated on full screen issues, but I imagine since
>> changing the window layer changes its behavior, the full screen semantics
>> are using the window layer as a hint to handle resizing. Just for grins,
>> what happens when you send -toggleFullScreen: to your overlay?
>
> the overlay has no life of its own; it’s managed by the window it’s attached
> to—toggleFullScreen is out of its context. &, i’ve just looked up
> toggleFullScreen (again): i’ve never seen a method description more in need
> of editing.
>
> thanks for your comments keary!

No, you wouldn't want to toggleFullScreen on it - it would go off into its own
space!

We tweaked window levels for what seemed like good reasons in 10.7 fullscreen,
and then those tweaks didn't work so well with 10.9 because Apple was using
different levels for some UI parts than it had before. At WWDC, Apple advised
against it.

The setFrame issue might be an Apple bug which we reported but I don't have the
rdar handy - it's applying the constraints as if there was a menu there, and
there *is*, but it slides down as needed and should not prevent windows going
into that area.