On Jun 17, 2014, at 4:16 PM, Trygve Inda wrote:

>> Doesn't seem weird to me, I do it all the time. One advantage of using a
>> custom class over a dictionary is that the compiler knows what's expected of
>> it, while a dictionary is just a black box.
>>

>> On Jun 17, 2014, at 3:21 PM, Trygve Inda wrote:
>>
>>> I need to store a large collection of settings (not application preferences,
>>> but parameters describing how complex data is to be displayed) and am
>>> looking for pros/cons as to the best way.
>>>
>>> At the top I have a class called MySettings. Within this I need to have
>>> groups of related settings. They can either be NSMutableDictionary or a
>>> custom class containing properties, but no methods.
>>>
>>> @interface MySettings : NSObject
>>> {
>>>   MySettingsAppearance*    appearance;  // size, graphic style etc.
>>>   MySettingsColors*        colors;      // colors for different elements
>>>   MySettingsLocations*     locations;   // array of data
>>>
>>>   ... About 8 more like these ...
>>> }
>
> Would you use a class-naming scheme like I have outlined?

It looks overly generic to me, but I assume you simplified it for the list,
especially since you said your main class was already MySettings :)

When it's associated with another class like that, I'd do something like use
the owning class (MySettings) as a prefix - so maybe MySettingsConfiguration.
But then a lot of time I'm using this for C++ structs, so foo::Bar::Struct
becomes MyFooBarStruct (namespaces! So awesome! But I guess we aren't ever
getting them for Cocoa now :( )