> On Jul 4, 2014, at 8:18 PM, Trygve Inda <cocoa...@xericdesign.com> wrote:
>
>> When an object in a nib receives awakeFromNib are all the outlets throughout
>> the entire nib hooked up, or only those outlets in the object that is
>> receiving awakeFromNib?
>
> All the outlets are hooked up. But not all the other objects in the nib have
> run their -awakeFromNib methods yet, so you have to be cautious about calling
> into other objects in the nib during your -awakeFromNib implementation.
>
> —Jens

That's fine. My situation is I have a subclass of NSWindowController and
several custom objects:

Owner (MyWindowController)

ControllerA

ControllerB
ControllerC

These are all in the nib and I call init in such a way that Owner is passed
a reference which it stores. When ControllerA gets an awakeFromNib it needs
to call methods in ControllerB and ControllerC that require all the outlets
to be hooked up.

I need to ensure ControllerA runs first so I do this by having an
awakeFromNib in ControllerA, but not in B or C. So that when ControllerA
gets awakeFromNib, it can manage things.

As long as A can call into B & C and know that B & C have their outlets
hooked up, that's fine.