We did almost exactly what David's describing at the NSNorth conference this
spring.  There were about a hundred attendees, and everyone was given an
iBeacon that belonged to someone else; using the accompanying conference app,
which employed a crude proximity meter (based on RSSI level), we had to figure
out who had our beacon in order to get it back.  Similarly, it was possible to
monitor the presence and levels from every conference beacon in the room.

The limitation that Jim alludes to is that CoreLocation supports monitoring a
max of 20 regions.  However in iBeacon terms a region corresponds to a beacon
UUID, and in the scenario you envision you'll likely only have one.  At NSNorth
all of the iBeacons were configured with a common UUID, but were differentiated
by distinct major / minor ID numbers (which are exposed as NSNumber in the API;
I'm not sure what the practical range is but surely quite a number of bits).

Having said this, determining the relative proximity based solely on RSSI
didn't seem to be particularly straightforward in practice, especially if there
a bunch of them nearby.

cheers,

-ben