> On Jul 30, 2014, at 8:49 AM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 30, 2014, at 7:44 AM, Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:

>>> No, I did not. It depends on OFBindingPoint et al., which might depend on
>>> other things, etc., etc.
>>> But I studied it diligently.
>>>
>>> The problem (I guess) is that UIToolbar does not use LayoutConstraints at
>>> all. And it probably simply does not expect any of it's UIBarButtonItems to
>>> change their size.
>>
>> I think it’s because even though UIToolbar is a UIView subclass,
>> UIButtonBarItem, which goes on it, isn’t.
>
> Well, bar button items can have custom views, and sometimes non-view bar
> button items are encased in a view. So it’s definitely designed to work with
> views, and could be made to work with constraints.

Just wanted to chime in to ask anyone interested in using constraints with bars
(NavigationBar & Toolbar primarily) to please file bugs with the kinds of
things you want to do.

>> I never really understood why that was, it has that ‘NSCell’ code smell
>> about it, feels like something done for efficient button bars in iOS 2.0
>> we’ll all suffer for forever.
>
> The good thing about an abstracted API is that Apple could switch to
> one-view-per-bar-button-item tomorrow and none of us would know unless we
> looked.

Most people haven’t ;-).

>> I assume that you kept the width of the button bar item which contains your
>> custom view at the default of 0.0 right? It claims in that instance that the
>> item sets the width to fit but I suspect that really only works if the
>> content is a fixed icon and not a UIView.
>
> That's the purpose of setting the auto-resizing mask to FlexibleWidth. At
> least for title views, that causes UINavigationBar to send -sizeThatFits: to
> the view.

For UINavigationBar you shouldn’t need to even set flexible width, just
implement -sizeThatFits:. Unfortunately UIToolbar does not call -sizeThatFits:
for the views of bar button items.

Gerriet, you can try setting the frame of the slider then calling
-setNeedsLayout/-layoutIfNeeded on the toolbar to update the layout. If you do
this within the standard layout callbacks it should go along with any animation
that is already going.

--
David Duncan