If you want to go down the sockets path, there are clear examples on using
NSStream, sockets and Bonjour to send info between apps that are on the same
Mac.  Check out the PictureSharing sample and other NSStream samples that are
included in the Xcode help.

All I had to do to get this to work was to change the name of the folder that
specified the pictures transmitted and pictures directory on lines 163 and 173
in ServerAppDelegate.m file.

The project is a 2 app workspace that sends a picture from one app to another
on the same Mac.

It might be overkill, but it does the trick.

Hope this helps,
Alex Zavatone