On Thursday, September 4, 2014, Britt Durbrow <
bdurb...@rattlesnakehillsoftworks.com> wrote:

> I need to verify that the user has a login password set; and to verify
> that they have a screensaver turned on with a password requirement (I’m
> trying to make sure that the workstation is HIPAA compliant before
> launching my app). I don’t need to actually fetch the password or change
> the system settings; just make sure that they exist. Is there an API for
> this? (I’d much rather not try to go spelunking around in prefs files
> myself… and I’d like to keep my app sandbox friendly as well)

I don't know if there's an API, but I can tell you that it is extremely
unlikely that it will be sandbox compatible. Unless I am severely mistaken,
sand boxing is not designed to let you see details like that because
whether or not the user has a password is of no concern to an app in the
Mac App Store.

You may be able to get what you need through the defaults system,
particularly in regards to the screensaver... you will very likely need
temporary entitlements though.