On Oct 19, 2014, at 01:28 , Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:

>> you will need to declare it “convenience”.
>
> Tried that, too.

Ugh! Now you made me create a project to try it.

It looks like the problem is that ‘init’ is already a designated initializer,
though not of NSWindowController. That means it’s neither inherited (which
seems correct), nor overridable as a convenience initializer (which is
conceivably a bug, since I don’t see that it can be invoked at all from the
subclass of NSWindowController, so it may as well be invisible to it).
Therefore, I’d be inclined to solve it by either:

— providing a factory method that directly invokes the existing convenience
init that takes a “windowNibName” parameter, so that you don’t use the
parameterless init at all, or

— (if I had other parameters to pass) declare a convenience init that has a
different signature:

        convenience init (somethingElse: SomeType) {
                self.init(windowNibName: "abc”)
                … do things with somethingElse …
        }

or do the latter plus a factory method to invoke it.

Or maybe someone else has a better solution.