On Dec 19, 2014, at 05:36 , Charles Jenkins <cejw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could it be that even though the layout manager's temporary attributes are
> designed for purposes like syntax highlighting, folks don't actually use them
> because they don't work right during edits?

I tried to use them once for underlining errors like spell check does. Looking
back at the code, I see that I eventually used regular (red, dotted) underlines
instead.

I had the same experience of being unable to control the correctness of the
temporary attributes. It’s possible that I just gave up trying to get it to
work, but IIRC I figured out what layout was doing to it, which made sense at
the time though it meant a lot more work to get it right. IOW, I wanted it to
be more persistent than it is, it's less persistent than it should be.

Since temporary attributes are in fact used for (e.g.) spell checking in text
fields, I’m certain it works if you know how, but the path of least resistance
for us mere mortals seems to be to use regular attributes instead.