> On 1 jan 2015, at 18:22, Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:
>
> +1 for all of this. I wouldn't call leaks an utter waste of time, but it
> really does only find pure retain cycles (which it then annotates very
> nicely) and not memory which is really is pinned by a real reference which is
> more often the case. Also, if you're using KVO anywhere, this tends to
> entirely defeat leaks even though KVO isn't a strong reference and shouldn't
> be treated like one, it is. That makes leaks less useful than it could be for
> me because I'm always KVO'ing something.

I don't think leaks would find cycles. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's
sophisticated enough to perform that additional level of analysis. I think it
only finds stuff that's truly referenced from nowhere else on the heap.

> There's an old blog by bbum which covered using generational analysis for
> finding leaks which aren't leaks. Xcode has changed quite a lot since then
> but some of the screens look quite similar even now. I routinely put my code
> through this torture test, it's so easy to run and the results are often very
> illuminating.
>
> http://www.friday.com/bbum/2010/10/17/when-is-a-leak-not-a-leak-using-heapshot-analysis-to-find-undesirable-memory-growth/<http://www.friday.com/bbum/2010/10/17/when-is-a-leak-not-a-leak-using-heapshot-analysis-to-find-undesirable-memory-growth/>

That functionality has since been integrated into Instruments, so it's easier
to use.

Joar