On Jan 11, 2015, at 15:07 , Uli Kusterer <witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Short caveat: Do not get the actual OpenSSL. Get LibreSSL

Jumping to a new thread here, since I’m going OT for the original thread. But I
have an actual question at the end.

I wondered about this issue just yesterday, looking at the open source AllJoyn
project. There is an iOS library in the release package, but if you look at the
installation instructions, the first thing it says is: “go install OpenSSL”.

I'm taking the liberty of mentioning AllJoyn out of the blue, because my
understanding is that it has now been embraced by Microsoft, along with Android
and iOS development generally in the upcoming Visual Studio 2015. For those
reasons, it seems to me it should be on every Mac developer’s radar, even if
they don’t actually want to use it. Hence this PSA.

My question is in two parts:

(a) Is LibreSSL API-compatible with OpenSSL?

(b) Is it released for Apple platforms as a FERCRISSAKES FRAMEWORK?

[Sorry, was I shouting? It’s one of my pet peeves that open source software —
sometimes written by some of the finest minds on the planet — thinks it’s done
with a lowest-common-denominator release package. Why can’t the release package
contain the per-platform things that most developers actually use, like
frameworks that are ready to drop into a project? IS A LITTLE BIT OF EFFORT TOO
MUCH TO ASK??]

[[Sorry, shouting again.]]