On Jan 27, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:

>> On 2015 Jan 27, at 06:46, Keary Suska <cocoa-...@esoteritech.com> wrote:
>>
>> Better, however, to have a property declaration, which would also synthesize
>> an ivar in modern LLVMs (as of Xcode 5?).
>
> You mean the property declaration would synthesize the ivar.  I didn’t try
> that.  I agree it would be better.

I should clarify that an ivar may not be synthesized if @dynamic is used. I
forget what the current implementation does for CD, which is a special case.
Specifying an ivar is probably the best and easiest approach.

>> If we stop and think a moment, why would calling super ever work? This is
>> still Objective-C, and calling super is only valid when the class'
>> superclass implements the method. And I bet NSManagedObject doesn't…
>
> Indeed, it crashed when I invoked it.

Also, more specifically, it is not an override but specifying an implementation
that, if not provided, will be provided at run-time.

>> Primitive methods … There is absolutely nothing magical about them, because
>> they need to be entirely un-magical to escape CD's notice.
>

>> Therefore it is really hard to break anything unless you deliberately do so
>> (or deliberately ignore compiler warnings).
>
> I don’t think it warned me about defining a primitive setter without a
> primitive getter, although it might have because I tried it in a project that
> is currently giving me 60 warnings due to major work in progress

What exactly happened when you specified the setter, but not the getter? That
part of the conversation was private between you and Quincey. I am simply
curious as I can't imagine why one would want to. I would have thought that the
runtime would have happily provided its own implementation, but since it would
use the internal store and not the ivar the values won't match. I imagine some
sort of inconsistency exception could happen...

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.