Thank you all very much. You know, I started this attempt by typing "[settings
beginSheet" because I assumed all windows/windowControllers acted like
savePanel, but XCode didn't give any code-completion suggestions for that. Then
when I did some documentation research, I read that SavePanel's
beginSheetModalForWindow:completionHandler: was a convenience method that
really called NSApp's method. So I switched to NSApp. (Thanks for the
modernization info about [NSApplication sharedApplication], Quincey!)

In retrospect it's obvious I went down a bad path because (a) I tried to use
the window controller as a window: my original statement should have begun with
"[settings.window beginSheet", which would have netted the code-completion
assistance I was expecting; and (b) when I researched alternatives, I found
out-of-date documentation.

I appreciate you guys putting me right.

--

Charles