Hi,

I’m really confused as it what type of a Application I need to create, from
reading the "Daemons and Services Programming Guide", it lists:

Login Item.
XPC Service.
Launch Daemon.
Lauch Agent.

On the face of it, a LogIn Item seems to be what i am looking for, but its
unclear (at least to me) if I can host an XPC service inside this type of
application?

I noticed in XCode 6, you can create an XPC Service Application, so I created
one, compiled it and placed the Application file in Startup Items, it seems to
load up ok, at least I get a terminal window opened pointing to the App’s
bundle.

I am not intending on Sandboxing this.

> I think as long as the OP is not intending to sandbox then using a
> LaunchAgent or LoginItem for communicating with a XPC will work but I doubt
> that using an XPC service will do this.

I’m not sure what you mean by this?

Cheers
Dave