On Mar 12, 2015, at 03:01 , Jonathan Mitchell <jonat...@mugginsoft.com> wrote:

> But surely this is the whole point of the context - to be able to
> differentiate between multiple observations to the same object and path.

I think the point is to differentiate between multiple observations to the same
object and path *from different objects*. I’m not convinced whether multiple
observations to the same object and path to the same object are intended to be
allowed or not.

Even if so, but if the observation created by the binding *doesn’t* use the
context for removal — presumably because that piece of code predates the
context-based removal API, and hasn’t been changed since — then the possibility
for confusion still exists.

I found the original thread about the bug I referred to earlier:

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/239182-crash-in-kvo-when-using-keypathsforvaluesaffecting-key.html

<http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/239182-crash-in-kvo-when-using-keypathsforvaluesaffecting-key.html>

(Nearly 6 years ago, can you believe it?) I don’t know whether it’s the same
problem, but in both cases the frameworks are internally creating an
observation that’s the same as a code-created observation (apart from context).
Apparently the removal code was unable to properly distinguish between the two
observations, and that’s more or less what Sean reported.