Say we have this structure:

Pictures
        LotsOfFolderAliiInHere
                AliasToRealFolder
        RealFolder
                blah.jpg

The sandboxed app lets the user choose a folder to process, and processing will
use an NSDirectoryEnumerator to recursively go through all items in the chosen
folder and add images to the document, and the user chooses
LotsOfFolderAliiInHere. When the app gets to AliasToRealFolder, it does the
right thing and resolves the alias using
URLByResolvingAliasFileAtURL:options:error:. Then it creates the directory
enumerator for that resolved folder, where sandboxing says "oh no you di-n't"
and denies access to a folder that was in the parent folder the user chose by
way of alias, thereby crippling the user's longstanding way of structuring
their folder hierarchy.

Is there any way around this hideous omission of what sandboxing should allow?

Every time I see a shooting star, I wish hard that sandboxing gets ripped out
en masse in 10.11 and replaced with something that works without causing such
headaches and roadblocks for developers and users.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek