> On 26 Apr 2015, at 2:33 pm, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> Second, even once the destination provides the URL of the directory in which
> the files should be created and the source replies with the names, you can't
> rely on the files having been created.  The source is actually encouraged to
> defer the creation of the files if it may be slow, and there's no way for the
> destination to know when that process has completed.  In the case of the
> Finder, that's fine.  It just tells the source the URL of the folder on which
> the user dropped the files and washes its hands of the matter.  When the
> source eventually creates the files, that will be just like any other file
> creation that the Finder deals with all the time.  In most cases, other apps
> don't have that luxury.  They want to incorporate the dropped files into
> their app's data in an immediate way.
>
> Both of these issues prevent the pasteboard API from automatically and
> transparently converting file promises to URLs.

Hmmm, well that’s heading me into unknown territory: here be dragons, indeed.

This seems ass-backwards to me for my situation at least. Photos already has a
file, and I don’t care about that really - what I’m ultimately after is the
image data it contains. I’d rather not have to create a file temporarily just
to get the image data - I’d rather it gave me the URL so I could get that data
directly either from a file or by downloading it. Seems as if I can’t do that
(unless the NSPromiseContentsPboardType is a way to get that - I’ll
experiment). I can understand why just handing me the URL and leaving the rest
to me might not be ideal, and that Photos (or any other similar app) might need
a say in how the data behind that URL is decoded, etc. But this seems to be
going too far, forcing you to supply a file even if it isn’t really a file you
want.

I’ll experiment and see if I can make anything work armed with this new info -
thanks again.

—Graham