I had a rather unsightly UI bug that resulted in the initial layout of
Warp Life's UI being all wonky.  After some repeated testing I
determined that it only happened right at app startup, and only if I
was holding my iPod in an almost-but-not-quite level sorta kinda
landscape mode.

I got the idea that it would stabilize the bug to prop my iPad up
along the spine of a book, then oddly found that the bug never
happened.  Neither did it happen in the simulator.

It seems that it only happened if I held the iPad in my hands - which
have a pronounced tremor - at just the right angle.

All of my view controllers have a "layoutItems" method.  I check the
device orientation then layout for either portrait or landscape.  What
was happening - I _think_ - is that the IOS would rotate my view, but
then the default case in my layout code would be taken, which didn't
do any layout.

After finding that when the bug occurred, I had an orientation of
UIInterfaceOrientationUnknown, I don't take the default anymore, I
force either a portrait or a landscape layout.

I'm not dead certain yet but I think I may as well have fixed another
far-more difficult to reproduce UI bug.

I got a lot of my code from Erica Sadun's iPhone Developer's Cookbook,
which was very helpful to me however some of her code is a little
buggy.  After I have another look at her book I'm going to email her
some patches.

Mike

--
Michael David Crawford, Consulting Software Engineer
mdcrawf...@gmail.com

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.