On 21 May 2015, at 1:33 am, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I can’t do a ‘po self’, even just typing it in, at this point, no matter how
> cunning I am at breaking at the right time. It seems as if there really isn’t
> enough info to resolve ‘self’ (the message is "error: use of undeclared
> identifier ‘self’")
> As you suggest, it’s probably a register, but don’t know which. I get the
> same error if I try any of them - undeclared identifier ‘r15’ for example.

In lldb you can name a register by slapping a dollar sign before its name, e.g.:

(lldb) po $edx
<PieChartViewController: 0x7fe90210>

(This is retrieving 'self' when running in the iOS Simulator; I don't have a
Mac OS X project at hand as I type this so the register use is probably
different but presumably the same technique should apply.)