Getting back to cocoon-dev land:

I did some further testing with some input from Michael...

As I feared, putting an identity transformation stylesheet in between my
pipeline, my problem was solved.

I've been browsing some code to find the difference in handling SAX
events between the AbstractTextSerializer and AbstractXMLPipe - but I
could use a couple of extra eyes :-)

My wild assumptions are that:

1) or this is a Resolver bug, i.e. it incorrectly handles comments
inside external entities and inserts them incorrectly in the output
stream
2) it throws some (weird?) SAX events (cfr 1) that the Serializer is
unable to handle, but the XMLPipe is handling correctly (based on my
understanding that XMLPipe is indeed the event-forwarder)
3) I'm touching grounds way to difficult for my weary brain to handle
:-)

Regards,

</Steven>